PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT
NOTICE TO SUBSCRIBERS
The purpose of this notice (“this Notice”) is to inform you (“the Subscriber”) how BSA, uses and maintains your personal information, as is required in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act, No. 4 of 2013 (“POPI”).
Building Service Advisor (“BSA”) is an electronic directory for building related services which will be accessible by the public by means of a software application on which the Subscriber’s personal information is contained. It is a quick and simple way for homeowners and alike to search for tradesmen online. BSA acts as an intermediary service for the advertisement of tradesmen and their services to the public.
What information we collect
BSA will make use of the Subscriber’s:
- E-mail address(es);
- Physical address(es);
- Telephone number(s);
- Location information; and
The supply of your personal information for BSA’s advertising service is voluntary.
BSA will disclose the Subscriber’s personal information to the public by using an electronic directory for the purpose of advertising the Subscriber. BSA will not use the Subscriber’s personal information, without obtaining the requisite consent, for any other purpose, save insofar as BSA may have a legal duty or right to disclose the Subscriber’s personal information or where it may otherwise be reasonably necessary to protect BSA’s rights.
BSA will take reasonable steps to confirm the Subscriber’s identity and confirm the accuracy of its personal information, before disclosing such information to the public.
How your personal information is used
BSA will use the Subscriber’s personal information only for purposes for which it was collected and agreed to with the Subscriber. This may include:
- The collection, receipt and retrieval of the Subscriber’s personal information from publicly available records.
- The collection, receipt and retrieval of the Subscriber’s personal information from the Subscriber, or an electronic directory.
- The recording, storage and collation of the Subscriber’s personal information in an electronic database for the purposes described herein, and in any database(s) necessary to facilitate such purpose.
- The updating, modification and alteration of the Subscriber’s personal information from time to time, as may become necessary, to maintain the accuracy of the Subscriber’s personal information.
- The consultation and use of the Subscriber’s personal information for purposes of communicating with the Subscriber.
- The dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available to the public the personal information of the Subscriber for the purposes described herein.
- The merging and linking of the Subscriber’s personal information to the Subscriber’s account held with BSA, and for the purposes described herein.
- The erasure and destruction of the Subscriber’s personal information if the Subscriber does not hold an account with BSA, or ceases to hold such an account.
- The use of the Subscriber’s personal information for the purpose of providing BSA’s service as an advertising platform.
The Subscriber’s rights in terms of POPI
The Subscriber is entitled to request and access any of the Subscriber’s personal information held by BSA, subject to the payment of a reasonable fee which BSA may be entitled to request in terms of legislation for the provision of such information (Such as for copying costs in the event of written documentation being requested. For Subscribers, we will always allow you to amend, verify or request deletion of your information, at no charge).
The Subscriber may request that BSA updates, corrects or deletes any personal information of the Subscriber which is held by BSA. BSA will also appreciate it if the Subscriber ensures the accuracy of its personal information used by BSA and notifies BSA of any changes to its personal information.
The Subscriber has a right to object to the use of its personal information, at any time, and BSA shall take all reasonable steps to cease the use of the Subscriber’s personal information upon such request.
For more details on the Subscriber’s rights, the Subscriber is referred to Section 5 of POPI or a full copy of POPI at http://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/acts/2013-004.pdf
Privacy and Security
BSA has a duty to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of the Subscriber’s personal information by taking appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures to prevent loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of personal information and unlawful access to or processing of personal information. BSA will continuously establish, review, maintain and update its security controls and any related processes to ensure the security and privacy of the Subscriber’s information. If BSA has reasonable grounds to believe that the personal information of the Subscriber has been accessed or acquired by an unauthorised person, the BSA shall notify the Subscriber.
If it becomes necessary to transfer the Subscriber’s personal information to another party for the purpose of maintaining the security of the personal information, including to another country, BSA shall ensure that such a transferee upholds the same level of security for the Subscriber’s personal information as employed by BSA.
Changes to this notice
This Notice may be amended from time to time for the purpose of ensuring BSA’s compliance with current legislation and to ensure that this Notice remains appropriate and accurate. Kindly visit BSA’s website, at www.buildingserviceadvisor.co.za or via the (“the App”) from time to time to note any amendments to this Notice.
Should you have any queries about this Notice or believe that BSA has not adhered to the content of this Notice, or need any further information about the purpose for which the Subscriber’s information is being used, the security and privacy practices implemented by BSA, or the Subscriber intends to grant BSA consent for the use of personal information or withdraw such consent or exercise any of its rights in terms of POPI, the Subscriber may contact BSA at:
Tel: 0861 111 445
The Subscriber may also lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator if the Subscriber believes that BSA has not adhered to POPI. The contact details for the Information Regulator are:
316 Thabo Sehume Street
Ms Mmamoroke Mphelo
Tel: 012 406 4818
Fax: 086 500 3351